I was reading Heb 11:8-12,19 today about Abraham and taking some notes. The DNA for being a radical Jesus follower today can be summed up in 9 characteristics we find in our father Abraham described in Hebrews 11. Check it out!
By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going. 9 By faith he made his home in the promised land like a stranger in a foreign country; he lived in tents, as did Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise. 10 For he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God….And so from this one man, and he as good as dead, came descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as countless as the sand on the seashore….Abraham reasoned that God could even raise the dead (Hebrews 11)
The DNA for being a radical Jesus follower today can be summed up in 9 characteristics we find in our father Abraham listed below. Check it out!
1. He knew his call (“called to go to a place”),
2. he obeyed this call (“obeyed and went”),
3. he walked toward something he could not yet physically see (“he did not know where he was going”),
4. he stepped beyond his comfort zone (“as a stranger in a foreign country”),
5. his call required sacrificing worldly comfort (“lived in a tent”),
6. he was always looking forward, focused on the goal (“he was looking forward”),
7. he knew that God had to build it if it was to last (“whose architect and builder is God”),
8. his success depended on the supernatural power of God (“from this one man, and he as good as dead, came descendants…”),
9. All of these are rooted in his faith that God raised Jesus from the dead (v. 19 – “Abraham reasoned that God could even raise the dead”)
So, what if we all cultivated this type of faith in whatever kind of task God has currently called us to? We are currently walking with a small community of people towards launching a new church, and we desperately need to live into this kind of heroic faith.
When you boil everything down, being a Christian and following Jesus really isn’t rocket science, is it? It’s just faith.