MainStreet Church is about bringing the light and love of Christ beyond the church walls and into the marketplace — i.e., Main St. Our foundational verse is Acts 17:17 where Paul conducted his ministry “in the marketplace daily with all who happen to be there.”
The new youth ministry will carry out this vision in its own way. We’re excited to announce the name!
Introducing….. <drum roll please> …….THE ALLEY.
The foundational scripture for The Alley is Luke 14:21 where Jesus tells a parable of a Master who is throwing a huge party and is determined to invite everyone and do whatever it takes to fill his house. In the end, the Master commands his servants to “go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in the poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame.” Many of the core values of The Alley youth ministry are found in this one verse.
1. It’s a party. The Alley wants to reach those who have been bored by church in the past and prove to skeptics that life with God is the most exciting, adventuresome, and joy-filled party you can ever imagine. We want to be the best party in town.
2. Everyone’s invited. This parable emphasizes that ALL are invited into God’s party — especially those who tend to be left out, lonely and lost. God has a special place for the hurting and broken.
3. Fill the house. God commands us, his servants, to “go out” and unapologetically share the invitation with others until His house is full. We must not wait for them to find their way to us.
4. Streets and alleys. We believe in raising up disciples of Jesus who aren’t afraid to live their faith out in public — the streets and alleys.
5. The Narrow Way. Alleys are a narrow pathway. The Alley teaches youth how to follow Jesus on the narrow way of kingdom discipleship, remembering Jesus’ words that “broad is the way that leads to destruction and many take it” but “narrow is the way that leads to life and few find it” (Matt. 7).
Read more about The Alley below and see some of our fun leaders who will be helping us launch this fall.